Immediately following the initial outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the 120 disciples gathered obediently and of one accord in the Upper Room, they exited the room and went into the streets.
They must have been exuberant and joyous. Perhaps boisterously so. So much so that they were accused of being drunk at 9:00 in the morning! (Vs. 15).
Peter defends themselves by saying that they were not drunk…
Acts 2:16-21 (Amplified Bible)
(16) But [instead] this is [the beginning of] what was spoken through the prophet Joel:
(17) And it shall come to pass in the last days, God declares, that I will pour out of My Spirit upon all mankind, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy [telling forth the divine counsels] and your young men shall see visions (divinely granted appearances), and your old men shall dream [divinely suggested] dreams.
(18) Yes, and on My menservants also and on My maidservants in those days I will pour out of My Spirit, and they shall prophesy [telling forth the divine counsels and [predicting future events pertaining especially to God’s kingdom].
(19) And I will show wonders in the sky above and signs on the earth beneath, blood and fire and smoking vapor;
(20) The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the obvious day of the Lord comes–that great and notable and conspicuous and renowned [day].
(21) And it shall be that whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord [invoking, adoring, and worshiping the Lord–Christ] shall be saved.
This was the new beginning. Filled with the Spirit they began to live up to the name the recording of their exploits would become…
They began to ACT!
This the is a book of the ACTIONS of the apostles of the early Church!
Funny how a new movement in the Church today is called The “Emergent” Church.
The Church emerged 2,000 years ago and this is its story! It is our story continuing not beginning.
The prophecy of Joel which is what Peter is narrating in this passage emerged from prophetic utterance in the Upper Room and took wings in the street immediately following. The Church was formed with over 3,000 people in the short hours following.
The saga continues.
Never give ear to those who say it ended when the last disciple died. Theological and dogmatic cessationists love to spoil God’s party. They will never know or live in the victory that God has provided until the Church Age comes to a close and we are assumed into Glory!
We are the Church of the Living God. Specially formed stones in the foundation and each one known by God. We are the Body of Christ, performing and carrying out His will upon the earth until He comes to join us to Him physically.
All because of one act of prophetic grace upon people who simply believed and craved a touch from God.
It requires us to ACT!
I hope it happens for you! Seek it! Crave it! Desire it! God wants you to have it!
Dream and have Holy Ghost visions. Be excited for now and what the future holds.
Keepin’ it Real,